Advance your career with a stand-out MBA that's focused on your career goals and tailored to fit your busy life.
Prepare for leadership in UMUC's award-winning Master of Business Administration program, designed for busy professionals like you. Offered online or in a hybrid format with both online and on-site components, the MBA can help you develop key managerial competencies to advance in any type of business.
You'll develop sought-after skills in finance, marketing, operations, information literacy, technology fluency, and systems thinking, as well as key competencies for effectiveness as a manager, including ethical leadership, team building, communication, problem solving, and critical thinking.
Program Flier: A summary of the program
About the Master of Business Administration
The MBA curriculum includes coursework in management, legal and ethical issues in business, leadership, finance, marketing, strategy, decision making, and operations. Courses feature projects for actual companies and agencies to give you real-world experience in managing operations that you can apply right away on the job.
What You'll Learn
The program is designed to help students
- Make effective management decisions that exhibit high ethical standards in a global and culturally diverse environment.
- Use oral and written communication skills to express ideas effectively and persuasively with all organizational stakeholders using a variety of tools, including synchronous and asynchronous technologies.
- Develop comprehensive solutions to business problems by synthesizing and evaluating information using qualitative and quantitative analytical reasoning.
- Manage the effective use of technology in an organization to achieve superior performance and operational effectiveness.
- Apply proven management theories and practices to resolve a wide range of organizational issues.
In past projects, students have had the opportunity to
- Envision an innovative product and create a marketing plan for it
- Assess the business environment for a company that is considering entering and operating in two countries using analyses of the management challenges of a multinational enterprise that has actually entered the recommended country
- Present and defend an optimal performance appraisal system for your current position or for one you hope to hold within the next five years
Program Recognition / Accreditation
In 2011, the UMUC MBA program won the Best Practices Award (Silver) in Distance Learning Programming—Higher Education from the U.S. Distance Learning Association.
The MBA program has received specialized accreditation through the International Assembly for Collegiate Business Education (IACBE).
Master of Business Administration Requirements
The MBA degree program requires 42 credits of coursework, including 24 credits of common core courses and 18 credits in either standard or global focus core courses. Courses must be taken sequentially and are offered in four 10-week terms. An introductory course (AMBA 600) is prerequisite to the program but may be waived for students
- who already have a graduate degree, or
- who present GMAT scores in the 70th percentile or higher, or
- who complete their undergraduate degree at UMUC with a major in business administration and a grade point average of 3.0 overall and also in the major.
Required Core Courses
All courses must be taken in the order listed.
- The Manager in Organizations and Society (6 Credits, AMBA 610)
- Managing People and Groups in the Global Workplace (6 Credits, AMBA 620)
- The Economics of Management Decisions (6 Credits, AMBA 630)
- Managing Projects, Operations, and Information Systems (6 Credits, AMBA 640)
- Marketing Management and Innovation (6 Credits, AMBA 650)
- Managing Global Business (6 Credits, AMBA 660)
- Managing Strategy in the Global Marketplace (6 Credits, AMBA 670)
Whether you are a current student, alumnus, prospective student or employer, Career Services offers you easy access to career-related support and resources.
Current students and alumni can take advantage of many valuable services, including
- Career mapping
- Resume and cover-letter tips
- Job fair preparation
- Resources to find job opportunities
- Strategies for the federal job search
- Interview preparation
Prospective students are eligible for general Career Planning and Career Change advising as it relates to potential UMUC studies only.