Attend THE POTSDAM MISSIONS: The Story Beyond the Bridge of Spies Conference
The USMLM Association is proud to announce The Potsdam Missions, a conference highlighting unique intelligence gathering and liaison activities during the Cold War.
WHAT WILL I LEARN?
Working in cooperation with its Allies, USMLM collected the best intelligence of any Cold War unit focused on Group Soviet Forces Germany (GSFG). The soldiers and airmen of USMLM were the only Americans who had daily contact with the Soviet Army. Few knew the Soviet soldier better.
The conference will afford attendees the opportunity to learn about these unique human intelligence (HUMINT) assets. Presenters will include former USMLM, U.S. Department of State, and German scholars familiar with the complexities of intelligence issues and life behind the Iron Curtain.
- Thursday, 20 June – Optional colloquium with Allied Missions members (German language)
- Friday, 21 June – Daytime tour of former Soviet command bunkers and Soviet garrison; evening opening remarks and welcome reception
- Saturday, 22 June – Full day of conference presentations and panel discussions
- Please register by submitting the online registration form at https://usmlm.us.
- The conference will be held at the Potsdam Museum, Am Alten Markt 9, Potsdam, Germany, and has no registration fees.
- Participants must make their own lodging, meal, and transportation arrangements.
- Attendees are invited to a complimentary welcome reception on Friday.
For further details, conference updates, and contact information, visit https://usmlm.us.
Thursday, 20 June 2019
- Early arrival day
- Optional evening colloquium (German language)
Representatives from The Allied Missions speak about their experiences in the German Democratic Republic (GDR) during the Cold War.
Friday, 21 June 2019
- Arrival day
- Optional daytime tour
Attendees will have an opportunity to tour the former Soviet command bunkers in Zossen-Wünsdorf, south of Berlin, as well as visit Jüterbog, location of the largest Soviet garrison in the GDR.
- Evening welcome reception
All conference attendees are invited to enjoy a complimentary reception sponsored by University of Maryland University College (UMUC). Attendees will have the opportunity to interact with former Mission members and conference presenters.
- Dr. Stephen V. Hoyt, USMLM Association President and UMUC Professor
Saturday, 22 June 2019
- 0800 – On-site registration (no registration fees)
- 0900 – Full day of presentations and panel discussions begin
Presenters include former Mission members, historians, and other notable experts to include Dr. Jan Kostka, Potsdam Museum, The Allied Missions and The City of Potsdam.
A Review of the Academic Literature on the Allied Missions
Air Operations: Challenges and Successes
German Intelligence and the Missions
Non-Commissioned Officer View
Relations between the Soviet Army and the GDR
The Military Missions: Legacy and Importance
U.S. and German Intelligence Relations since 1945
USMLM in the Context of the Cold War
- Gregory G. Govan, Brigadier General (U.S. Army, Ret.) and former Ambassador to the Joint Consultative Commission of the Treaty on Conventional Armed Forces in Europe
- University of Maryland University College Europe
- U.S. Army Europe Command Historian
- Allied Museum, Berlin
- Berlin Wall Foundation
- German-Russian Museum Berlin-Karlshorst
- Potsdam Museum