Salisbury University’s Master of Social Work program is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education.
Help make a difference in the lives of people and their communities: Develop the skills necessary to become a professional social worker. Offered by Salisbury University and administered by UMUC Europe, the Master of Social Work program is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education. For the first time ever at U.S. military communities in Europe, you have the opportunity to earn a MSW degree in a student-centered, face-to-face atmosphere under the guidance of experienced faculty members.
The goal of this comprehensive program is to provide you with the knowledge, skills, and values necessary for private or public sector social work practice. In a combination of hands-on practice in your community and theoretical study in the classroom, learn how to work with individuals, families, and groups, and gain knowledge you need for social work supervision and administration.
This program will be offered for the first time to U.S. military communities in Europe in Spring 2014 Session 2, with the first classes taking place in the Kaiserslautern Military Community.
Program Flier: A summary of the program
As a graduate of the MSW program, you will be armed with skills to help:
- Operate as an ethical, competent social work practitioner
- Engage in beginning level supervision in a variety of settings
- Utilize your abilities in a plethora of different human service programs
- Participate in active community engagement in the pursuit of social and economic justice
- The program is 62 credit hours, with 48 credits of classroom work and 14 credits of supervised field practicum in your community
- The overseas program is offered in two formats: on-site and hybrid (combines online and on-site instruction)
- The regular program length for full time students is 12 sessions
- Recent graduates of an accredited baccalaureate social work program may be eligible to apply to our Advanced Standing program, which is 32 credits and six sessions
- The program requires field practicum study, where you will engage in supervised social work practice in a hands-on setting with organizations in your community
Curriculum: Required Courses
Field education is an integral component of the social work curriculum, and the focus is to take learning outside the classroom setting and provide valuable experience. In these courses, you will actively participate in your learning through real-world supervised social work practice at a human service agency in your local military community. UMUC Europe will assist with the placement process in institutions such as schools, social service agencies, day care centers, medical facilities, etc.
How to Apply
To apply for the Master of Social Work program, submit your application for admission online through UMUC Europe here. You will then be contacted via e-mail about the next steps in your admission process. For assistance, please contact the UMUC Europe Graduate Programs Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or CIV +49-(0)631-534-80344.
About Salisbury University
Salisbury University, a member of the University System of Maryland, is an accredited university of national distinction. In 2014, SU was ranked as one of the ‘Nation’s Best Institutions’ by The Princeton Review and one of the ‘Best Regional Universities in the North’ by U.S. News and World Report. Located on Maryland’s Eastern Shore, this four-year university has over 8,000 students and 55 undergraduate and graduate degree programs. SU prides itself on being an institution where individual talents are celebrated while big ideas are encouraged and nurtured. Learn more: www.salisbury.edu