Members of the U.S. Armed Forces, American employees of the U.S. government, and their family members may enroll in courses through the University of Maryland University College Europe. In accordance with the terms of the Department of Defense contract, the university may only enroll "those academically qualified individuals who have a valid Identification Privilege Card issued by the military services" and who are located in one of the specified contract countries in Europe, Central Asia, the Middle East, and Africa.
Applicants for graduate certificate and master's degree programs must submit an official transcript from a regionally accredited degree granting institution indicating successful completion of a bachelor's degree. UMUC Europe does not require the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or the Graduate Management Aptitude Test (GMAT) for admission.
Students must complete the following steps:
- Complete an online application for admission via MyUMUC at my.umuc.edu.
- Pay the application fee ($40).
- Request an official transcript from the bachelor's degree granting institution, even if the student attended another institution in the University System of Maryland. (Note: Students applying to the social work program must request that transcripts be sent directly to SU and not UMUC.)
If the bachelor's degree was awarded by University of Maryland University College (Stateside, Asia, or Europe), the student does not need to request a UMUC transcript. If the student received a bachelor's degree from an institution outside of the United States, the transcript must be evaluated by an independent agency. The section on international applicants follows. UMUC Europe reserves the right to request additional transcripts.
- Students applying to the social work program must complete additional requirements.
Transcripts are required to be sent directly from the academic institution the student attended to UMUC at:
University of Maryland University College
Attn: Graduate Admissions
3501 University Boulevard East
Adelphi, MD 20783
Addresses for most U.S. institutions of higher education may be obtained through reference materials generally available at education centers, libraries, or on the Web through sites such as dir.yahoo.com/education/index.html.
GoArmy students must submit a Common Application in the GoArmyEd portal in place of the UMUC online application.
For specific information on graduate transfer credit, please click here.
To be considered for admission, international students must present:
- Official documents indicating successful completion of the equivalent of a regionally accredited U.S. bachelor's degree.
Applicants educated in countries other than the United States must have their official transcripts evaluated by an independent evaluation service. The evaluation organization will send a copy of the evaluation both to the applicant and to the Graduate School of Management and Technology. UMUC accepts credit evaluations from any National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES)-approved organization, including World Education Services (WES), and the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO). A list of NACES-approved agencies is available at www.naces.org/members.html. Applicants may access AACRAO request forms online at www.aacrao.org/international or may contact the organization by phone at 202-296-3359 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
- Proof of English Proficiency.
Applicants who have not received a bachelor's degree from an English-speaking country must demonstrate English language proficiency to be eligible for admission. (A complete list of countries recognized as English-speaking is available online at http://www.umuc.edu/students/admissions/international/grad.cfm.) The following are accepted as proof of English proficiency:
- A minimum TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score of 550 on the written version, 213 on the computer version, or 79 on the Internet version and a minimum Test of Written English (TWE) score of 4 (unless the Internet version is submitted-then no TWE is required).
- A minimum score of 6.5 on the IELTS (International English Language Testing System), including the academic writing and academic reading modules.
- A passing grade of Pre-1 on the Eiken Test in Practical English Proficiency.
- A transcript indicating completion of at least 12 credits of graduate coursework at a regionally accredited U.S. degree-granting institution. Credits must have been earned in the past two years with a grade of B or higher. All credit is subject to review before being accepted as evidence of English proficiency.
Applicants must arrange to have official score reports sent directly from the testing agency to the Graduate School of Management and Technology. The TOEFL score recovery code for UMUC is 5804. All scores (TOEFL, IELTS and EIKEN) must be no more than two years old.
Students may be admitted to only one institution in the University System of Maryland at any one time. Students may be admitted as either graduates or undergraduates, but may not hold both classifications simultaneously.
Students may be admitted to only one graduate program at any time. Application for admission to a second graduate program is not permitted until notification of resignation or completion has been presented for the first program. Students admitted to any other graduate program in the University System of Maryland must notify UMUC. Students retain active status for two years (six consecutive terms) even without being registered in the program. However, after two years without a completed graduate course students must submit a new online application.
Graduate Academic Advising
Upon application, each student's academic background is evaluated to determine eligibility for enrollment in a graduate program and whether previously taken graduate courses are applicable as transfer credit. The Graduate Programs staff assist students to identify the best program of study and to chart their course for academic success.
Academic Advisement Report
Upon official admission, degree-seeking students will be able to view their degree progress report through MyUMUC which lists all course requirements for graduation including:
- UMUC courses required for degree completion.
- Approved transfer courses, if applicable.
Students must successfully complete all coursework stipulated on the degree progress report to be eligible for graduation.
UMUC Europe Graduate Catalog